This year’s unseasonably warm temperatures in California afforded me the opportunity to harvest garden heirloom tomatoes through November. Capellini Pomodoro is easy to make and the Heirloom tomatoes made an exceptionally good sauce. I like to add lots of garlic and fresh basil to this simple dish. Serve with grilled rustic bread.
Movie night suggestion: Cinema Paradiso or Lady and the Tramp.
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 3 oz. fresh basil, cut into strips
- ⅓ c. olive oil
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- 1 lbs. angel hair pasta, cooked
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- salt to taste
- Heat olive oil and add garlic. Cook until the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Add tomatoes, pepper, and salt.
- Heat through stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add basil and half of the cheese.
- Toss gently with the pasta.
- Serve immediately and top with remaining cheese.