Five a day! Cauliflower and zucchini can be found in most grocery stores throughout the year. Cauliflower possesses a high nutritional density. It’s low in fat, low in carbs, but high in dietary fiber, folate, an vitamin C. Zucchini is treated as a vegetable in a culinary context even though botanically, it’s an immature fruit. It’s low in calories and high in folate, potassium, vitamin A and manganese. Serve with crusty bread and roasted garlic.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 two-pound head of cauliflower, cut into medium size florets
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1” pieces
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart chicken broth (vegetarian version substitute vegetable broth)
- 4 cups water
- olive oil for drizzling
- thyme leaves for garnish
- dash of nutmeg for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add olive oil. Add the onion, shallots, and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, thyme and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, broth, and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer on low until the cauliflower is softened, about 30 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Puree the soup until smooth.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, thyme leaves, and nutmeg.
I paired this elegant soup with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Fresh, crisp and not aggressively grassy. It is typically consumed young, and does not particularly benefit from aging.
Movie night suggestion: The World’s Fastest Indian (2005). The life story of New Zealander Burt Munro (Anthony Hopkins), who spent years building a 1920 Indian motorcycle. A bike that helped him set the land-speed record at Utah’s Bonneville Flats in 1967. I also suggest Flight of the Conchords, a TV series about a folk-rock band from New Zealand living in New York City in search of stardom.