My blood orange Valentine! For these flapjacks, I simply adapted my lemon pancake recipe to coincide with blood orange season. Serve le boudoir style (breakfast in bed) with thick-cut applewood bacon rashes and a homemade cafe au lait.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 blood orange, juiced and zested
- lemon curd for drizzling
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat a griddle to medium-low.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cheese, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Gently stir in blood orange juice and zest.
- Pour pancake batter, about ¼ cup on the griddle and cook on both sides until light brown. Transfer to plates.
- Drizzle warm blood orange curd over the pancakes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Morning music suggestion: PROJECT Trio. These virtuosos were featured on NPR’s Morning Edition. They’re a high energy chamber music ensemble comprised of three musicians from Brooklyn.