Just in time for Spring! Tuck in to this rich, elegant, and moist cake. Vanilla beans add an intense flavour. Fresh blackberries are slipped into the batter for a colourful surprise.
- 1⅓ cups butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups fine sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, inside removed and outside discarded
- 16 whole blackberries
- Butter and flour a 10-inch bundt or tube pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Beat butter at medium speed with a standing electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until incorporated after each addition.
- Add flour to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at a low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract and add beans. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tuck blackberries about 1½ inches apart just below the surface of the batter (fruit will settle to the middle of cake during baking).
- Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out dry. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and place on wire rack. Cool completely, about an hour. Serve with Blood Orange Curd if desired.
Lifestyle suggestion: Walk off that cake! Go some place to see wildflowers. This link will help you find viewing locations and show you how to identify flowers in your state.